Welcome Message from the School Director
The American International School of Bucharest is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1962 to serve the needs of the diplomatic community of Bucharest. In the span of 60 years, we have grown and developed to embrace over 900 students and almost 300 faculty and staff members from more than 60 nationalities. Our Future Plan guides our thinking and actions to make learning relevant and grounded on our beliefs of a creative, courageous and compassionate world.
AISB is governed by its Board of Trustees, composed of current and former parents, and currently led by Chairperson, Brian Randall. The Board of Trustees oversees the school’s strategic discussions, budget and funding decisions, and policy development. The operation of the school is delegated to the Director and AISB Leadership Team.
Board of Trustees
2022-23 School Year
Three Schools, One Mission
AISB caters for students from EC2 to Grade 12 and is divided into three sections:
The Early Learning Center is a purpose-built, state-of-the-art center that opened in 2017 to welcome AISB’s youngest learners, aged 2 to 6 years old. The Early Learning Center (ELC) includes students from EC2 to Kindergarten.
The Secondary School welcomes 11 to 18 year-old students in grades 6 through 12. The lower grades take the IB’s Middle Years Programme (MYP), while those in Grades 11 and 12 take the Diploma Programme (DP) in preparation for University.
Alongside our wonderful team of educators in the three divisions, a number of main offices and supporting teams assists with the day-to-day operations of the school:
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at AISB
AISB is committed to creating a safe, equitable and inclusive learning community where everyone feels a sense of belonging.
We strive to ensure that all members of our community, students and families, staff and faculty, are provided with equitable access and opportunities in an environment where they are accepted, valued, and encouraged to be their authentic selves.
AISB is a place where human dignity is affirmed.
Our Future Plan
Our Future Plan
Past & Present
We kindly ask prospective families planning to visit AISB to contact us prior to the visit. We will get back to you within 24 hours by email. Thank you for understanding.
The safety and security of our students is of utmost importance to us. Please review the following guidelines with regards to visiting AISB. For security purposes, please remember to bring valid identification with you when you visit AISB.
- Parent access on campus is limited to school events and specific appointments. Please make sure that you have informed the school office you are visiting of your arrival so the security office can be notified. When on campus, the following regulations apply:
- Parking Permits: the current parking permits are valid through August 31st. These rules apply to the main campus parking lot as well as the Early Learning Center (ELC) parking lot.
- Driving within, and out of the school campus: driving within the grounds of the school should be done with utmost attention towards students and parents who are walking and other vehicles moving at the same time. For families who need to drop off their children in two different campuses in the morning, given the traffic at that time, we suggest that you park in the ELC campus, so that your older children can walk to other sections of the school.
- School buildings will remain locked at all times.
- Electronic campus access will be granted as follows:
- Parents and designated family members with chip-access cards will be allowed automatic entrance to the school.
- All other people will not be allowed access unless by prior arrangement.
- FA (Family Aides) will not be allowed access to the Main Campus without prior notification but will be allowed access to the ELC for short instances (dropping off and picking up our early learners). The recipients of these badges must be registered by parents at the ELC Reception as well as the Main Campus Reception and must carry a valid ID when entering the school campus. They will need to leave the ID at the Reception / Gate to receive a badge. FA badges are not to be taken home, they are returned in exchange for the ID. It is the parents’ responsibility to inform the school if they no longer work with a certain caretaker.
- V (Visitors) to the campus must have a confirmed appointment. No walk-ins are allowed. All visitors must have the exact name of the person they are visiting and a valid ID. All visitors will receive and must display the Visitors (V) badge while on campus. These rules apply also to visitors entering with parents in a car which has a parking sticker.
- SC (Subcontractors) to the school will present their ID and receive a SC badge from Reception / Gate. They will also enter the school only upon a prior arrangement / appointment.
- Families residing in the Ibiza Compounds (behind the school) and using the Cafeteria and back gate will be able to access the Main Campus using their photo badge which opens the gate. No entrance is permitted through these gates with only your ID. If you need a parent / family member badge, please contact the school Reception.
Thank you for partnering with us in making sure that our campus is safe and appropriate for our children’s education.