Declaration of Vision
Recognizing the inter-connectedness between human well-being and the environment, the Director will lead its staff, faculty, students, and community to take responsibility for protecting the environment throughout our everyday lives at school and beyond in our communities.
AISB, as an institution, commits to making changes to become a more environmentally friendly school.
AISB recognizes its duty to prepare its students with the knowledge, skills, and sense of responsibility to protect the environment, manage the world’s resources wisely and to make a positive change in our community.
The Director will promote education programs, as well as student action, related to environmental issues as they affect the school, home and the world:
- allocating resources to teachers’ professional development on environmental curriculum content;
- teaching students from an early age and across all grades to appreciate the environment, its importance to human well-being and the need to protect it;
- integrating activities and latest research on environmental issues into teaching units;
- using its green spaces as a teaching and learning opportunity;
- inspiring students to make changes in their lives and communities for environmental protection.
The school will be involved in local, municipal, provincial and international programs that promote good environmental practices.
The Director will implement a waste management plan for all aspects of its operation, including special events, following the principles of reduce, reuse, recycle with the overall goals of saving resources, minimizing landfill waste, and maximising recycling. The Director will make available the necessary facilities, equipment, and supplies for separation and adequate storage of its waste and recyclables. AISB will also cooperate with waste management companies to execute its recycling ambition.
AISB staff, faculty and students will minimise paper consumption and explore technological solutions to avoid paper usage. AISB will, wherever possible, use recycled paper products.
AISB will reduce the use of plastic, in particular, single-use plastic, as much as possible.
While AISB encourages events that bring our community together, we aim to hold events that are free of single-use plastic and actively encourage participants to reduce waste. Recycling will be provided at community events.
Aware of the connection between food waste and greenhouse gas emissions, AISB – through its students, faculty, and staff, and in cooperation with the food services provider – will avoid food waste as much as possible. To further reduce our greenhouse gas footprint, AISB will divert food waste and other organic matter from landfills by making it available to composting, whether in-house or externally.
When making purchasing decisions, AISB will consider the environmental implications of such decisions and commits to making choices that minimize the school’s negative environmental impact. This relates, amongst other, to the material of the products, their packaging, sourcing, and their recyclability.
Green Cleaning & Indoor Air Quality
AISB will review its use of cleaning products and replace substances that are detrimental to human health and/or the environment with alternatives while maintaining our cleanliness standards.
Energy, Water, and Biodiversity
- Building on AISB’s investments in energy & water efficient infrastructure, the school will involve staff, faculty, and students to actively minimize the use of electricity and water.
- AISB will strive to further increase biodiversity on its school grounds, with a focus on local flora and will explore opportunities to involve students in achieving this aim.
AISB staff and faculty will work together with AISB’s ECOSCHOOL student groups to implement this policy.