AISB Hosts 24-Hour Run to Raise Money for Ukraine
An article published in the student newspaper (The Bite) by The Bite Staff.
This Friday and Saturday, AISB will host a “Peace for Ukraine Community Run” to raise money for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), which is providing humanitarian support to people in Ukraine.
The event will start at noon on Friday, March 11th and end 24 hours later. Community members and people living in Bucharest are encouraged to donate upon arrival (cash or card) or have friends and family sponsor their run. People outside the country can run as well, dropping a pin on this map to show solidarity and to raise funds.
Event organizer David Hughes plans to bring a sleeping bag to stay the full 24 hours. “The reason we’re having such a long event is so that time wasn’t a barrier for people; you come when you can,” he says.
Hughes explains that the event will be organized similar to the Terry Fox Run, with the one-mile course designed inside AISB’s boundaries. Participants can walk or run as many laps as they would like, and food and beverages will be available for sale—with proceeds going to ICRC.
“This is a way to bring our community together for something really important,” says Hughes. “So many people are wanting to do good things…this way we can raise funds for a trusted organization.”
The school chose ICRC as the organization through the recommendation of Pechersk School International (PSI) in Kyiv. Donations will serve to help the Red Cross to provide food, water, shelter, and all living necessities, as well as support healthcare facilities and emergency services in Ukraine.
Details for attending the run:
- The campus will be open from 12pm March 11th-12pm March 12th.
- Non-AISB community members can sign up to attend through this form. All non-AISB community members must bring ID to enter the school campus.
- Donations can be made by cash, card or bank transfer (details below).
- Everyone is strongly encouraged to wear yellow and blue clothing to show support for peace in Ukraine.
- Food and drinks will be available for purchase, and there will even be face painting provided by one of AISB’s service groups.
- Cash and credit card donations are welcomed at the event.
- To pay online or for sponsors to donate on your behalf, visit this official Go Get Funding website.
- For bank transfer, send money directly to American International School of Bucharest LLC:
EUR Account: RO43 RZBR 0000 0600 2221 3104
RON Account: RO34 RZBR 0000 0600 2221 3072
Bank: Raiffeisen Bank S.A – SMB, Grigore Alexandrescu Street, Bucharest, Sector 1
In the notes, please write “Run for Peace” when executing the payment so that we can properly reflect the funds in the respective community funds balance.